2nd Workshop on Fats and Oils as Renewable Feedstock for the Chemical Industry
The encouragement of the environmentally sound and sustainable use of natural
resources is one aim of the Agenda 21. At present, fats and oils are the most
widely applied renewable raw materials in the chemical industry, since they
offer widespread possibilities for different applications. The 2nd workshop
"Fats and Oils as Renewable Feedstock for the Chemical Industry" will discuss
new developments as well as future perspectives of the chemical usage of fats
The workshop in Emden will cover the following topics (amongst others):
- Chemistry of fats and oils & other renewable resources
- Synthesis of fine chemicals
- Monomer / Polymer synthesis
- Book of Abstracts
- Presentations (for registered participants only)
- Conference Program
- Arno Behr, University of Dortmund, Germany, "Catalytic functionalisation of fatty compounds"
- Uwe Bornscheuer, University of Greifswald, Germany, "Biocatalysis in the modification of fats and oils for oleochemistry"
- David Cole-Hamilton, University of St Andrews, Scotland, "Carbonylation as a route to chemicals from biomass"
- Marina Galià, Rovira i Virgili University, Tarragona, Spain: "Vegetable-oil based thermosetting polymers"
- Sarina Grinberg, Ben-Gurion University, Beer-Sheva, Israel, "Exploiting vegetable oils for the delivery of hydrophilic drugs"
- Maria Rosa Infante, Instituto de Investigaciones Químicas y Ambientales, CSIC, Barcelona, Spain, "Biocompatible Surfactants from Renewable Hydrophiles"
- François Jerome and Joel Barrault, CNRS/LACCO (Laboratoire de catalyse en chimie organique), Poitiers, France, "Rational design of solid catalysts for selective glycerol activations"
- George John, The City College of New York, Department of Chemistry, New York, USA, "Crops: A Green Approach toward Self-Assembled Soft Materials"
- Harald Häger, Evonik, Degussa GmbH, Marl, Germany, "Life Cycle Assesment of High Performance Polyamides"
- Karlheinz Hill, Cognis, Germany, "Vegetable oils as raw materials for industrial applications"
- Norbert Holst, Agency for renewable resources, Gülzow, Germany, "Use of renewable raw materials in industry and funding of research and development in this field".
- Selim Kusefoglu, Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey, "New Approaches to Polymers and Composites from Plant Oils"
- Zoran Petrovic, Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, Kansas, USA, "Vegetable Oil-based Triols from Hydroformylated Fatty Acids and Polyurethane Elastomers"
- Hans J. Schäfer, University of Münster, Germany, "Tensides, Monolayers, Ion Channels and Organogels from Fatty Acids"
- Manfred Schneider, University of Wuppertal, Germany, "Lipids and Lipases - Combination Products From Renewables"
- Peter Tollington, Croda, Gouda, The Netherlands, "Fatty acids: safe and versatile building blocks for the chemical industry"
- Ralf Weberskirch, Bayer Materials Science, Germany, "The role of renewable resources for Bayer Material Science"
- Oskar Zelder, BASF AG, Ludwigshafen, Germany, "Utilization of renewable raw materials in the chemical industry - selected examples".
Call for Papers
The program will feature invited as well as discussion lectures, and a poster session.
The conference organizers are now accepting registrations and abstract submissions
for discussion lectures, and poster presentations. Submissions are encouraged for
all topic areas of the workshop.
Deadline for abstract submissions: January 02, 2009.
Submission of abstracts for poster presentation: March 10, 2009.
Travel Grants for Students
Ph.D. and master students (with valid student ID) are encouraged to present their work as a poster or
discussion lecture. For this purpose a limited number of travel grants and registration fee waivers will be
available. Please apply early for these by e-mail to the organizers including a short CV, abstract and
recommendation letter from your supervisor.
Deadline: January 2, 2009.
The fee includes: Welcome reception, lunch on Monday, Conference dinner and coffee breaks.
The registration fees should preferentially be paid during the registration procedure via internet using paypal.
Alternatively, you may pay by bank transfer (free of bank commission).
- Students: EUR 100 (student ID required)
- Academia and public services: EUR 150
- Industry: EUR 300
Account holder: abiosus e.V.
Bank name: Bremer Landesbank
National bank-number: BLZ 290 500 00
BIC / Swift: BRLADE22
Account: 3 007 047 000
IBAN DE64 2905 0000 3007 0470 00
Subject: Please give your name / Emden 2009
The registration fees are not liable to value added tax (tax exemption additional § 4 Nr. 22a UStG).
Requests for cancellation made prior to March 10, 2009 will be subject to a EUR 25 administration fee.
After that date the full amount of the invoice has to be paid.
Requests for refund will not be accepted; however, registration may be transferred to another member of
your organization. In this case please send a note to the organizers.
If the meeting is cancelled for whatever reason, fees paid will be refunded. Further recourse is excluded.
The conference will take place at the
University of Applied Sciences OOW
26723 Emden, Germany
Surrounding international airports of Emden are: Bremen (~ 130 km distance),
Hamburg (~ 250 km distance) and Amsterdam (~ 300 km distance);
from these airports Emden can easily be reached by train (see
www.bahn.de for train schedules).
A limited number of rooms are booked for the participants in
various hotels throughout the city near the workshop location.
Tel.: +49 (0)4921 828 0
Fax: +49 (0)4921 828 599
Single room: EUR 94,-; Double room: EUR 119,-
Tel.: +49 (0)4921 97520
Fax: +49 (0)4921 28761
Single room: EUR 78,-
Hotel am Kleinbahnhof
Am Kleinbahnhof-Ost 7
Tel.: +49 (0)4921 91650
Fax: +49 (0)4921 916510
Single room: EUR 51,-; Double room: EUR 76,-
All room rates include breakfast and VAT.
Arrangements should be made not later than 15.01.2009 under the keyword "Workshop FH 2009".
Please order your accommodation directly at the hotels by phone, fax or email.
Information / Requests
Please address all requests to the scientific committee:
- Submission of abstracts: January 2, 2009
- Submission of abstracts for poster presentation: March 10, 2009
- Personal registration: March 10, 2009
- Room reservation: January 15, 2009
- Application for grants for students: January 2, 2009
- Cancellation of participation: March 10, 2009