5th Workshop on Fats and Oils as Renewable Feedstock for the Chemical Industry
The environmentally sound and sustainable use of natural resources has become globally a most important challenge. At present, fats and oils are
the most widely used renewable raw materials in the chemical industry, since they offer widespread possibilities for different applications. The
5th workshop "Fats and Oils as Renewable Feedstock for the Chemical Industry" will discuss new developments as well as future
perspectives of the chemical usage of fats and oils.
The workshop in Karlsruhe will cover the following topics (amongst others):
- Chemistry of fats and oils & other renewable resources
- Synthesis of fine chemicals
- Monomer / Polymer synthesis
- Conference Program
Invited and Confirmed Lectures
- Unprecedented selectivities in oleochemicals conversion
Bert Sels, K.U.Leuven, Heverlee, Belgium
- Renewable materials @Bayer MaterialScience
Gesa Behnken, Bayer MaterialScience, Germany
- Optimizing wax ester production in oil seed-crops
Ivo Feußner, University of Göttingen, Germany
- Isomerizing functionalizations of fatty acids
Lucas Gooßen, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
- Functional group metathesis polymerization of biorenewable feedstocks
Stephen A. Miller, Department of Chemistry, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
- Ways to chemo-catalytic conversion of carbohydrates
Regina Palkovits, TH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
- Ruthenium catalysis for cross metathesis and sequential reactions adding value to renewable oils
Christian Bruneau, Université de Rennes, Sciences Chimiques, Rennes, France
- Utilization of vegetable oils and fats in the Brazilian Chemical Industry
Ulf Schuchardt, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brasilien
- Polymers from vegetable oils by click chemistry
Zoran Petrovic, Pittsburg State University, Kansas, USA
- Transformation of terpenes into fine chemicals
Wilfried Schwab, Biotechnology of Natural Products, Technical University München, Freising, Germany
- Oleochemicals in Personal Care
Markus Dierker, BASF, Germany
- Sustainable processes for the production of fatty acid derivatives
Stefan Buchholz, Evonik, Germany
- Strategies for polymerizing cyclohexadiene from plant oils
Robert Mathers, Penn State, New Kensington, USA
- New routes for the catalytic valorisation of biomass-derived oxygenates
Pieter C. A. Bruijnincx, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Sustainability evaluation as key factor for the selection of processes and materials
Peter Saling, BASF, Germany
Call for Papers
The program will feature invited as well as discussion lectures, and a poster session.
The conference organizers are now accepting registrations and abstract submissions
for discussion lectures, and poster presentations. Submissions are encouraged for
all topic areas of the workshop.
Deadline for abstract submissions for discussion lectures: January 9, 2012.
Submission of abstracts for poster presentation: February 27, 2012.
Travel Grants for Students
Ph.D. and master students (with valid student ID) are encouraged to present their work as a poster or
discussion lecture. For this purpose a limited number of travel grants and registration fee waivers will be
available. Please apply early for these by e-mail to the organizers including a short CV, abstract and
recommendation letter from your supervisor.
Deadline: January 9, 2012.
The fee includes: Welcome reception, lunch on Monday and Tuesday, Conference dinner on Monday night and coffee breaks.
The registration fees should preferentially be paid during the registration procedure via internet using paypal.
Alternatively, you may pay by bank transfer (free of bank commission).
- Students: EUR 150 (student ID required)
- Academia and public services: EUR 200
- Industry: EUR 350
Account holder: abiosus e.V.
Bank name: Bremer Landesbank
National bank-number: BLZ 290 500 00
BIC / Swift: BRLADE22
Account: 3 007 047 000
IBAN DE64 2905 0000 3007 0470 00
Subject: Please give your name / Karlsruhe 2012
The registration fees are not liable to value added tax (tax exemption additional § 4 Nr. 22a UStG).
Requests for cancellation made prior to February 27, 2012 will be subject to a EUR 25 administration fee.
After that date the full amount of the invoice has to be paid.
Requests for refund will not be accepted; however, registration may be transferred to another member of
your organization. In this case please send a note to the organizers.
If the meeting is cancelled for whatever reason, fees paid will be refunded. Further recourse is excluded.
The conference will take place at the
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT),
Karlsruhe, Germany, Campus South, Fritz-Haber-Weg 6;
Building 30.41, Criegee hall (see map).
A detailed description how to reach the Campus South of KIT can be found here.
A Google-Map can be found here.
Surrounding international airports of Karlsruhe are: Frankfurt (∼ 120 km distance),
Stuttgart (∼ 80 km distance), Zürich (∼ 170 km distance);
from these airports Karlsruhe can easily be reached by train
(see www.bahn.de for train schedules).
A limited number of rooms are booked for the participants in various hotels throughout
the city near the workshop location using as keyword “abiosus 2012”.
Renaissance Karlsruhe Hotel
Tel.: +49 (0)721 3717 381
Fax: +49 (0)721 3717 333
Single room: EUR 91,- per night; Double room: EUR 111,- per night
Hotel am Markt
Tel.: +49 (0)721 91998-0
Fax: +49 (0)721 91998-99
Single room: EUR 65,- to 69,- per night; Double room: EUR 89,- per night
Tel.: +49 (0)72125303
Fax : +49 (0)72122922
Single room: EUR 65,- per night; Double room: EUR 85,- per night
All room rates include breakfast and VAT.
Arrangements should be made not later than 20.02.2012 under the keyword "abiosus 2012".
Please order your accommodation directly at the hotels by phone, fax, email, or internet.
Information / Requests
Please address all requests to the scientific committee:
- Submission of abstracts for discussion lectures: January 9, 2012
- Submission of abstracts for poster presentation: February 27, 2012
- Personal registration: February 27, 2012
- Room reservation: February 20, 2012
- Application for grants for students: January 9, 2012
- Cancellation of participation: February 27, 2012